Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Snuggie

Many of you have seen the goofy commercials they have on TV for the Snuggie- the blanket with sleeves. I made one as part of a gift for a brother-in-law so I thought I would share it! They are cheap and easy to make AND they are good for those hard-to-shop-for family members!

What You Need
2 old felt blankets (or 3 yards of 60 in wide fleece)
Thread
Sewing machine
scissors

I almost bought fabric to make this but I found some fleece blankets on sale at WalMart! It was cheaper than the fabric I was going to buy AND all the edges were already finished! It doesn't really matter- Fleece doesn't need its edges to be finished because it doesn't fray but I like it to be because it makes your gift look more professional.

CUTTING *Measure twice, cut once ;)
Fold blanket in half (long ways). measure between 12 in. an 14 in. from the top edge of the blanket down (vertical). Measure about 11 in. from the fold to the other edge of the blanket (horizontal). Thats where you place your circle for the arms. If you need a reference I got the measurements from HERE but made up my own directions (honestly they might be the same as mine- i didn't even read them! haha). Draw an oval and cut out BOTH layers (to make both arm holes)

For the sleeves, cut a 60 in. by 24 in piece of fabric. Then cut it in half so you have 2 30 in by 24 in pieces.
{sleeve pieces}

{holes for the sleeves in the "body" part}


Fold the arm pieces in half long ways and sew one straight line along the long side with edges (the side opposite of the fold) so that you have two tube-like pieces when your done.


Sewing circles
Here is a trick I learned in one of my sewing classes that I use all the time. After the "tube" is sewn, make a mark on the tip of the fold oposite from the stitch.

THEN re-fold fabric so the mark lines up with the sewed line
{its a little hard to see the black mark in this photo- sorry}

THEN make a mark on the tip of the two folds on either side. Take your circle and do the same. Since you don't have a seam on your circle just try to find the most middle of the top and bottom. Attach Points of the sleeve to the points of the body. Sew along the edge (right sides of fabric together). Then repeat for the other sleeve!

You'll be SO stylish this winter ;)

0 comments: