Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

One of the ways I save money in my food purchases is I try to stay away from anything pre-made. No microwave meals, no ready made dough, nothing like that. It saves a lot of money to make basic stuff from scratch AND its usually healthier for you!

One thing I make from scratch now is BROWN SUGAR! I Love brown sugar and use it for a ton of stuff but I always hated when I wouldn't bake for a while and then I would find my brown sugar stuck in one dried out hunk and I would have to throw it away! So by making it now I not only save money by not having to buy it pre-made but I also don't waste money when it goes bad because I can just make the right amount when I need it.

Ingredients
Mild Flavor Molasses
White Sugar

The ratio I found is 1 Tablespoon per 1 Cup of sugar but that never worked for me so I just eye-ball it. When you try this for the first time start with a Tablespoon and slowly add more until you think its right.

Mixing the molasses into the sugar can be tricky your first time too- you get lots of clumps at first. After I have stirred the clumps up I find it easiest to smoosh the clumps, in a rubbing motion, against the wall of you bowl with the back of a spoon. Do this a few times and then stir the whole mixture a few times, then repeat. Do this as many times as it takes until you can stir the whole mixture without seeing any big clumps.

Ta Da! Just like you buy in the store!

0 comments: