Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Dye Fabric

This being my second time dying, I think this round went MUCH better! Of course I needed to dye some onezies to sell on my Etsy shop. Here we go!

What You Need
Big bowl- find one that you can dedicate to dying
Big Spoon
Your Favorite Dye color- I used Rit's liquid version (Dry is cheaper but it can be harder to work with)
Items You want to dye
latex gloves

I'm a big Eye-baller. I eye-ball almost everything. But as I found out with my last attempt at dying, you can't really do that here. You need something to help you measure. I had this awesome measuring pitcher that I stole from a roommate in college years ago and it worked GREAT!
Mix the correct amounts of hot water and dye in bowl (see directions on bottle). Your supposed to pre-wash your fabric so I just hand washed them in my kitchen sink and then stick the wet fabric in the dye mix. Stir constantly for 30-60 min.
Rinse fabric until the water is clear. Wash fabric with detergent in washer machine. Then dry.
Ta da!

0 comments: