Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Wrapping Paper

I hate buying wrapping paper. I always find it hard to find cute patterns for cheap and I hate spending a lot of money on something that is just going to get ripped up anyways. So I'm making my own this year! Its not only a great way to save money but also to customize the look of your gifts and add some of your own personality!

What You Need
Postal Wrapping Paper (I found rolls of 15 feet at the $1! =)
Poster Paint
Potatoes
Sharp knife

Don't feel like you need to go to the craft store and buy crazy expensive stamps to make your gift look great! (but you can if you want to ;) Potato stamps are great for this project and super cheap to make!

Cut you potato into halves (I cut a chunk off the end of mine so I could make my berries stamp). Be sure to make a clean cut- if you have nicks or grooves it will show up on your stamp.

Draw out your design on a paper. Cut it out with space on the out side and place on your potato. I used the tip of my knife and poked holes around the outside of the design (Just like when you carve pumpkins).

Cut out the design you created with your dots. Then cut off the excess potato surrounding your design.

Pour paint onto a paper plate and apply it to stamp (I watered down some old acrylic paint I had from college and used a craft sponge brush to apply on the stamp)

Stamp away! =)


This is a great craft to do with kids! They get an opportunity to create something AND personalize their gift to Grandma and Grandpa or Uncles and Aunts.

2 comments:

hmmm said...

hey, I never really understood how this would work! very cool.

Laura said...

This is an awesome idea!! I think i'll have Kenedi do it for the family presents!!